Yesterday, at the gym, I was in my zone. I was listening to my pump-me-up music when my thoughts took me back to my first marathon. I started training 6 months before the race. My coach had won the Marine Corp Marathon the year before in the women's division for her age. If I was going to do this and do this well, I wanted to be trained by the best. Not only did she schedule long runs on Saturdays, but we had track training on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the HOT Washington D.C. Summer!
I remember the pain of our track workouts. The nausea that came after sprinting and jogging, lap after lap. On our long Saturday runs, I remember what it felt like to be at mile 21 knowing that I had 2 more miles to go before my training was finished for the day. UGH! The blisters, sore muscles and aching bones. It was almost too much to bear...
Finally...it was race day. I was as prepared as I was going to be. I had my family and closest friends near by to cheer me along the way, I had my energy packs and water for fuel and I was ready...it was game time! The butterflies in my stomach were in place, as I was about to embark on something that I had never done before. With a chill in the air, standing in a crowd of hundreds, the gun went off...BANG!
What has God been training YOU for?
Nothing you do is every wasted! However, you can't stay in training mode forever! It's time to stop procrastinating and start pursuing! It's GAME TIME! In order to activate your faith, you have to JUMP!
Here are a few of my favorite tips designed to get you RACE READY!
1. MAKE THE DECISION! Go for it!! When you only commit 99%, distractions and delays take you off course and delay you from receiving your win. When you commit to your decision 100%, your heart, mind, soul and body all align and agree to work together to get you the results! What are you waiting for? . . . GREATNESS is waiting on you!
2. Get a COACH! A coach is designed to stretch you to reach your capacity quicker! We all need accountability and support to help us achieve our specific goals. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need. Success cannot always be achieved alone. There is more power in team!
3. DON'T FIGHT THE PROCESS! The aches, pains and agony of achieving your goals and dreams are all part of the process. You cannot circumvent them, so you might as well get your ice packs, Biofreeze and massage therapist ready!
4. BUTTERFLIES ARE A GOOD SIGN! New challenges can be scary, but REMEMBER YOU WERE BORN TO DO THIS OR ELSE THE DESIRE WOULDN'T BE WITHIN YOU. YOU'VE GOT THIS!
5. RECRUIT YOUR FRONT ROW!! Get clear on the kind of support you need, and the people you want along for the journey. Everyone cannot take this journey with you! Be selective and only invite people along for the ride, who you are confident have your back!
6. FUEL YOURSELF DAILY! Spend time with God, read the bible, journal, meditate, listen to an inspirational message or music. Fuel yourself properly for the journey ahead. It is mandatory to maintain strength and endurance.
7. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! Don't wait to get ready the day of the race. Get prepared NOW! . . . So when the gun goes off, you're READY TO RUN FULL SPEED!